For the last few months we polled visitors to this blog as to what they believe to be the most effective medium is for marketing. The overwhelming winner was direct mail campaigns. It’s true that a direct mail campaign TARGETED TO AN ACCURATE DATABASE OF YOUR DEMOGRAPHIC is a pinpoint “sniper-like” shot at increasing market-share however; it’s not the end all be all – send it and they will come – magic marketing tool.
When developing a direct mail campaign these things need to be considered:
1. We recommend a heavy stock 6×9 postcard opposed to anything in an envelope. The retention rate of a professional design postcard piece is tremendously higher than anything else.
2. If your piece is just a coupon “spiffer”, utilizing a service that bulks you in with everyone else is acceptable however; if you are a Business to Business operation or if your business wants the complete attention of individualism…do not use a mailing service that packs you with others.
3. The database that you are sending to must target your demographic and must be accurate.
4. A direct mailer is effective but only if you support it with other collateral, mediums and brand building techniques.
5. A very effective direct mail campaign will just tease the prospect with some interesting facts or ideas. At times in a simple question form and will direct them to your website. At the website they can log in for a special offer thus giving you authorization to email them other marketing collateral.
Frank Italiano ~ Frankenstein Design